ArticlesBlog

181 Water Pumping Station

181 Water Pumping Station


Narrator: The abundance of cool, clear water
from the Columbia River was essential to the B Reactor’s operation. From this pump house, the water was sent to
treatment plants. Then it was passed through the reactor before
being returned to the Columbia. Russ Fabre: Along the river is the 181 Water
Pumping Station. This supplied water to the B Reactor to cool
the reactor core itself. What this area would have looked like in 1943:
it was a beehive of activity. Whole structures were here to support the
activity of the B Reactor. There was water purification plants. There were machine shops, administrative buildings. Total number of employed workers out here
during day shift was between 350 to 400 workers.

Comment here